Monday, September 11, 2006

Summer into Fall

One of my favorite things about this time of year is organizing all the bits I have amassed over the Summer. Lately I've been taking stock of trips, using sketches to start designing my next collection and cataloguing recent photographs. I just came across pictures from my trip to Cape Cod. The weather is so mild there that the hydrangas and lilies grow into amazing giant bushes. The rain looked great on these blooms as I woke up one morning.
Here are a few nice architectural shots. Who would have thought the JetBlue terminal could hold its own next to the Brooklyn Bridge?

I also found a brochure from the Schmuck 2006 International Contemporary Jewelry exhibit at the Museum of Art + Design. The combination of 'low' materials and found objects with traditional stones and metals seemed to be a big trend. This brooch by Annamaria Zanella uses paper mache and precious metals.

I also caught the Eames exhibit going on downstairs. The graphic design of their posters and event invitations struck me even more than the furniture. They used a lot of line drawings and a really bold orange. Film clips showed the couple's creative process and their personal correspondence showed their unique collaboration. My favorite piece was a letter written from Ray to Charles while he was traveling to Paris. It was part love letter and part wish list. The list was complete with store adresses, colors and sizes. For more on Charles and Ray Eames visit the Library of Congress exhibit. They have a some of their 350,00 slides of everyday curiosities online.

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner